Scholarship Program Tips, Info & FAQs
Renewable awards to graduating seniors for up to $4,000 toward their collegiate expenses.
At United Texas, we take great pride in being part of the communities we serve. Among other things, this means offering scholarships to help other community members pursue their collegiate ambitions.
The first scholarship winners graduated from high school in 2007. Since then, we’ve provided 62 scholarships and awarded over $100,000.
This scholarship is awarded based on academics, leadership, community service, and personal recommendations.
To qualify for this scholarship opportunity, applicants must be:
- A member of United Texas Credit Union in good standing or a child, stepchild, or grandchild of a United Texas member in good standing. A minimum of one year of United Texas Credit Union membership is required prior to the date of application.
- A high school senior graduating in the spring of the application year.
- Ranked in the top 25% of their graduating class.
Starting in 2017, our scholarship is renewable up to three times for a total award of up to $4,000 per winner!
Ways you can help keep that price in check
College is an important time in every young person’s life.
Unfortunately, it’s often a very expensive one, too. That’s why you’ll want to know about the following ways you can help keep that price in check.
- Obviously, scholarships are ideal. Your student should apply for as many as possible as they can really help keep the costs of college down and, unlike loans, they never need to be paid back. At United Texas, we offer scholarships every year to help our members and their children pay for school.
- If your student is going to take out loans, make sure you consider all your options first and understand the exact amount needed. Taking out more than necessary may seem harmless, but that decision could result in years of extra payments for your student after they graduate.
- Before the government will loan your child money, you’ll need to fill out a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) so they can calculate your EFC (Expected Family Contribution). This is true whether you intend on helping your child with college or not. Plan for this beforehand by decreasing your cash assets, moving investments into property, and reducing any savings kept in your student’s name (you can return them after graduation). These are all completely legal ways to receive an EFC score that will better benefit your child.
What is the deadline to apply each year?
The deadline is 4 pm on the first Friday in November to be considered for the next year’s scholarship.
How do you determine the winners?
We use a third-party scholarship clearinghouse. A group of experienced educators reviews the applications and makes recommendations based on the above scholarship criteria.
How do I know if I've won?
We will reach out to all of the winners in March to let you know if you’ve won. Applicants who are not selected also receive a notification. Winners are presented with their awards in May at the credit union’s Annual Membership Meeting.
How do I renew the scholarship if I'm a winner?
As long as you continue to be a member or related to a member in good standing, and maintain a GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale, you may renew your award up to three times.
For renewals, proof of completion from the previous year as a full-time student (official transcript issued by the institution) as well as proof of full-time enrollment for the coming year, must be provided.
Next StepGo To Next Step
Scholarship Program Why United Texas
- $1,000 Scholarship
- Renewable Up to Three Times
- Must Be Graduating in 2022
- Children, Stepchildren, and Grandchildren of Members are Eligible
- Applicant Must Be in the Top 25% of Their Class
I truly don't think I've ever felt so welcome in my life. Thanks, United Texas!Samantha V., member since 2002 and former United Texas scholarship winner
We don't have reviews for this, yet.
Share your story about Scholarship Program at United Texas?
Review Scholarship Program from United Texas
Next StepGo To Next Step
Scholarship Program How it Works
How it Works
Meet our qualifications for consideration.
Download the United Texas scholarship application from our site if you wish to apply only for our scholarship. Students in Bexar County can request a Bexar County Scholarship Clearinghouse application from their counselors, which can be used for a variety of scholarships.
Do not bring or mail your scholarship application to the credit union. Your completed application must arrive at the Minnie Stevens Piper Foundation by the published deadline.
Related Products & Services
Need a Hand?
United Texas scholarships are renewable for 2017 and later high school graduates.
Next StepApply Now
Children, stepchildren and grandchildren of United Texas employees and Board members are not eligible to participate in the scholarship program.